Thursday, December 27, 2007

Into the Wild


I loved this movie but I don't know how to explain why. I guess it starts with a well-written story. Kudos to Sean Penn for screenwriting this one. I haven't read the book but I have to imagine this would be a hard story to convert to a screenplay. He uses some unique techniques to bring to life this young man's story and struggle.


He also didn't chintz on the scenery. The story follows Christopher McCandless' journey across the US. They could've cheaply let California substitute for many of the locations (like South Dakota) but they didn't and the effect is magical. You feel like you are experiencing everything he did and it made me want to chuck it all and hit the road too (for a few minutes anyway). Again, kudos to Sean Penn.


This is really a movie you NEED to see on the big screen. Watching it in a theatre I was truly lost for two hours in the experience. That doesn't happen very often and it was great.

No comments: