Sunday, July 13, 2008

Great Sex

A friend, who knows I see a lot of movies, asked me, “Would I still enjoy the Sex and the City movie if I didn’t watch the TV show?”

To that I have two answers.

First off, I’m so sorry that there are women out there who haven’t seen this show. It’s a female right of passage to watch this show. It celebrates and empowers women and their messy lives and relationships. It’s like a good friend who gives great advice. And you don’t even have to like New York to enjoy it, because the stories and characters with their problems and their joys resonate no matter where you live.

My second answer is this: if you haven’t seen the show, you would probably still enjoy the movie. You might think it funny and clever. But you wouldn’t go from laughing hysterically in one minute to crying hysterically the next like a SATC veteran. And that’s sort of like giving a really expensive bottle of wine to a beer drinker.

I purposely did not read the reviews because I didn’t want to know what they had to say. Michael Patrick King didn’t write this movie or the series for the critics. He wrote it from the heart (he had to have been a woman in another life). He wrote it for us. And it was AMAZING. Absolutely amazing.

He was completely true to the characters. He didn’t contrive ridiculous plot twists to invent drama. He just let nature take its course the way things would really have worked out if these were real people, with real, every day issues like the rest of us. It was wonderful to watch and I hope to see it 10 more times.

No comments: