Sunday, March 1, 2009

Brain Candy


First I want to start by bashing some of the critics who've been bashing these two movies. The critics bash "chick flicks" because they say it reduces women to these man-hungry idiots who don't think about anything else but snaring a man, as if it's their sole goal in life. That is not what I take from these types of movies. Yes, at some point in our lives we're all on the lookout for our soul-mate. Does that mean it becomes the entire focus of our lives? NO! But in a movie you only have two hours to tell a big story, so you focus on the parts where the woman is trying to get her man. You don't always have time to show all the other things she's also doing at the same time, like getting a college education (SDSU girls, didn't we have a damn good time with each other!!!!!!) or working her first big job. It is a shame that they can't differentiate because sometimes there are truly bad chick flicks (ala most anything with Kate Hudson and/or Matthew McConaughey).

He's Just Not That Into You. Nancy and I saw this one today. I had low expectations because of things I'd read, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Nancy thought it was ok but they just didn't close it for her. It's a chick flick/romance with alot of different stories that are mildly related. There are alot of good actors in it...Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Bradley Cooper (love him!!), Jennifer Connolly, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson...need I go on? I thought they did a really great job of delving into the many kinds of relationships people can have and how things aren't always how they look!

Confessions of a Shopaholic. This one was hilarious. Isla Fischer is a true comic genius. I was laughing so hard the entire time! And Hugh Dancy is like a younger Hugh Grant...goofy and charming. And there are some great supporting actors like John Goodman, Joan Cusack, Kristin Scott Thomas and very briefly, Vanessa Redgrave. If you can only see one, see this one (Karen!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought about it and decided that there were too many story lines to really buy into their characters...I was seeing Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, that guy you love [as wedding crashers jerk], etc... I need to get out more - WHY am I overanalyzing this movie?! BTW...cookies are GREAT!!

Karen said...

Thanks, Shel! I've been wanting to see Shopaholic, but felt like I would have to sneak away to it just to preserve my self dignity. Now I will go (or really, rent) with my head held high.