Sunday, August 26, 2007

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

Earlier this year I put myself on the wait list for Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen based upon a review I saw somewhere or another. So, one day I went to pick up my library holds and there it was, I read the first few pages and couldn't imagine how I would be able to read a book about a circus. Circuses really aren't my thing, so I put it down and returned it when it was due. Never really gave it a second thought.

Until recently.

My aunt selected the book for our book club this month, so I picked it up at Target and planned to read it on our vacation. I started reading it on the way up to Bay Lake, couldn't put it down and finished it by Friday. Let me just say, I loved it, completely loved it.

It is a very strange little tale of a vet to be Jacob Jankowski and how his life takes an unexpected turn on the eve of graduating from Cornell. He begins a wild journey after he literally goes off to join the circus. The characters are all broken, tragic, freakish really, but that is what makes this book so good.

I won't spill anymore of the story, but just trust me - read it.

5 out of 5

1 comment:

carey said...

freakish and tragic? what else would one expect from a circus book? thanks for the review. i've been questioning this one.