Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Last Summer (of You and Me)

I picked up the first "adult" novel by Ann Brashares this week while at Costco. I was #32 of 206 on the waiting list at the library, but after reading the jacket decided I would go ahead and buy it. I finished the book rather quickly, but now am thinking I could have waited for my place in line at the library.

The book is an easy read, very fast, but there just isn't much to it. It is completely predictable and to be honest I was disappointed. I read the last page feeling like I had just watched a movie made for Lifetime entertainment all wrapped up rather neatly at the end of the two hour allotment.

I have only read one other of Brashares books (I am actually in the middle of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for book club), so I really didn't know what to expect. She does have moments where she thoroughly captures and conveys real life situations with the simplest of terms and you think, why have I never thought of it that way before? Then in the next line when you expect the clarity to continue and it falls short.

The story tells of the relationship between two sisters, Riley and Alice and how their summer neighbor Paul, comes in and out of their lives. The characters are in their early 20s returning for another summer, but you can't help but feeling they are so much younger.

There are a few adult situations thrown in along with a few swear words, but overall it feels like a teen novel wanting to be more. I wanted to get to know Riley, the eldest sister better, but she never really got a chance to let you know her. Alice is a sweet, naive woman who the author sells short. Paul, the neighbor, is just confused and is definitely someone you would never want your daughter to date. I know it sounds silly, but I felt I got to know the characters homes better than their occupants.

Maybe I am being too harsh, but it just wasn't what I was looking for right now, however put me on the beach and it would be a much better pairing. Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5

No comments: