Thursday, July 12, 2007

Recommendations for Carey

Here are a few of my recent favorites for trip to grandma's:

  • The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls - very, very good memoir. Bit heavy, but so worth it. One of my favorites. 5/5
  • The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - Read this long ago, but recently re-read. Loved this book, not as much as the Outlander series, but good. They are making a movie of this with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. Shel - WE HAVE TO GO SEE THAT WHEN IT COMES OUT. 4/5
  • The Book of Joe - Jonathan Tropper - Good story, light at moments. You liked Beautiful Girls so you will like this. 4/5
  • Love, Rosie - Ceceila Ahern - Really liked this, quick as the book is 99% emails and letters between Rosie and her best guy friend Alex. 3.5/5
  • The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella - Very cute light read. I like Sophie Kinsella, she is better when not in her Shopoholic series. 4/5
  • Can You Keep a Secret - also by Sophie Kinsella - Good light fun. Easy read. 3.5/5
  • Also just read new Ann Brashears book, I know you loved The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, so maybe give it a go. It is a quick read which I usually like however am in the throes of summer and want a little something more to hold onto amidst the chaos.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I have also read Time Traveler's Wife. Very good!

Susan, please do a write up on the just the Outlander series for everyone.

carey said...

Whee! It's like having my very own librarian. I'm going to give The Time Traveler's Wife and the Book of Joe a whirl.

I just read Running With Scissors. Umm...funny but pretty graphic, it's a memoir and the guy's life is insane.

Two more suggestions: The Kite Runner, and The Prodigal Summer. Both kinda heavy, but very good. Maybe for fall or winter...

Loved the Glass Castle. I had family flashbacks. Haha.